1963 Corvette Z06
1963 Corvette Z06
The 1963 Corvette Z06 was literally born to race, and that is exactly what Steven Hull had in mind when he bought his Daytona Blue Z06 coupe at Kurdy’s Chevrolet in Richmond, Indiana.
Produced on February 20, 1963, as part of the big February batch of Z06 Corvettes, the car was delivered to Hull on March 6 with the L84 327/360 HP engine, 4-speed manual transmission, 3.70:1 Positraction differential, seven-leaf rear spring, J56 heavy-duty brakes and a Saddle leather interior.
Hull titled the Z06, one of approximately 136 produced with the standard “small” fuel tank, but never registered it for the road use. Instead he prepared it for SCCA Production racing, in which it competed for several years. According to its documentation, Mr. Hull sold the car to Richard Deitz of Indianapolis in March 1965. Deitz raced it with number 34 and 37 during his ownership, which included an entry in the 1967 June Sprints at Elkhart Lake, where it wore number 34. After a year with its third owner, it was purchased by Atley Peterson of Anderson, Indiana, who raced it in SCCA B Production until an accident in a race at Britton, Michigan. In 1974, Danny O’Brien of Sharpsville, Indiana, bought the car with the intention of restoring it, but after years of gathering parts for the restoration, he passed away in 2011.
A well-known Corvette specialist secured the car through O’Brien’s estate and commissioned the restoration soon thereafter, completing it in 2013. Once again in as-new condition, the car incorporates the matching-numbers 327/360 HP fuel-injected V-8 engine and correct Z06 equipment. Since its completion it has earned Bloomington Gold Certification in 2013, an NCRS Regional Top Flight Award in 2015, 2nd Place in the Corvette class at the Santa Fe Concorso and the Palmetto Award at the Hilton Head Island Concours d’Elegance. This outstanding factory Z06 is accompanied by documentation that includes the NCRS/GM Shipping Data Report, ownership history, an Indiana title search that includes a copy of the original MSO, award documents and SCCA dash plaques dated 1965 and 1966.
– Bloomington Gold OEM Certified in 2013
– Regional NCRS Top Flight Award in 2015
– 2nd Place in the Corvette class at Santa Fe Concorso
– Palmetto Award at the Hilton Head Island Concours d’Elegance
– Former SCCA Race Car in the 1960s
– SCCA dash plaques from 1965-1966
– Ownership documented with a title search
– Copy of the original MSO
– Vintage photos of the car on race track
– Same owner from 1974-2012
– Restored in factory correct Daytona Blue with Saddle leather interior
– Matching numbers 327/360 HP fuel injected V-8
– 4-speed transmission
– 1 of approximately 136 small tank Z06 Corvettes produced
– Part of the February 1963 batch of Z06 Corvette production
– Sold new at Kirby Chevrolet in Richmond, Indiana
– NCRS Shipping Data report